J.D Hogan’s First Round 2013 NFL Draft
1. Kansas City (2-14)-Priority needs: QB, offensive line, WR, Pass rusher. The Chiefs aren’t as bad off as some teams are (Oakland and Jags to name a few) but have a key need at the QB position. Unfortunately for the Chiefs, this QB class is not the best out there. Not like the past two years have been. They aren’t terrible, there is potential but not one where I would draft a QB number 1 overall. However the need is strong and Andy Reid likes mobile QB’s with arm strength (Ala McNabb). I could easily see them taking Geno Smith with the Number one pick of this draft. He definitely has potential but would not be a person who could come in and run a team right away. If I were the Chiefs I would either 1. Trade back to a team like Cleveland who could be looking for a player like Damontre Moore or DeMarcus Milliner. 2. Take Luke Joeckel with the first pick and have a sure fired Pro Bowler as you’re anchor of your offensive line. Or 3. Trade a mid-round pick to the Eagles for Nick Foles (to bring Andy Reid a QB he drafted and is familiar with) and still take Joeckel with the first pick. UPDATE!!!! the Eagles have told the Chiefs that Foles is unavailable and now they may turn to Alex Smith
Who they will take: Luke Joeckel Texas A&M OT- Like I said I don’t think Geno Smith is deserving of a number one pick but don’t be surprised if he does because he did this with McNabb. Joeckel just makes the most sense here at this time.
Who they should take- Luke Joeckel
2. Jacksonville (2-14) – Jacksonville in my mind is in the biggest mess in terms of just being a franchise in the NFL. They can’t get fans to games, management has been awful and the players on the field have been as well. Things seem to be on the up though since the new G.M has already proclaimed Blaine Gabbert as the QB of the Jags…. Sense the sarcasm. This team is in a heap of trouble and I hope they can turn it around (maybe these new jerseys they are getting will give them Seahawks like power on the field). That being said their needs are an entire new team and could go anywhere with this draft. With a team full of needs you would hope they would take the best player available.
Who they will take: Star Lotulelei Utah DT- Best player available and is a star (pun very intended) in the making. Has all the talent and work ethic in the world. Scouts compare him to a Haloti Ngata and say he is a clone. I’m not a huge fan of comparisons but that should be an indicator of just how good he is.
Who they should take- Star Lotulelei
3. Oakland (4-12) – Oakland is another team with a whole bunch of needs. This is a team that could go into the season having the QB that screwed over Ohio State (yes Terelle Pryor may start an NFL game… very scary). They desperately need a pass rusher, their secondary is in shambles and with McClain not even wanting to play for them need a middle linebacker. Also lastly they just got rid of Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly is the most overpaid player in the NFL so look for him to be gone as well.
Who they will take-Shariff Floyd Florida DT –He is gaining huge momentum in scouts’ minds and some people are even putting him in front of Star as the best player other than Joeckel in this draft. He had a very good year at Florida and can become a pro bowler in the NFL. .
Who they should take- – Damontre Moore . Notice how I said can and could be a pro bowler when describing Floyd. He is not a sure thing at the DT position and I just like Moore’s ability to get to the QB.
4. Philadelphia (4-12) – The Eagles could use a corner as well as an upgrade at the tackle position. The tackle position is biggest need since Mike Vick or Nick Foles couldn’t get a pass off without have to scramble or avoid a rusher. The cornerback position is also a need because Nnamdi will most likely be released since his signing was a fail and Rodgers Cromartie is a free agent. Those are the two biggest needs they have and they are big ones. The Eagles will also most likely use a mid round pick on a QB. Also they could spend a quality pick in order to get a decent pass rusher to acquire some depth.
Who they will pick- Eric Fisher Central Michigan OT- Another offensive tackle off the board as the Eagles will continue to look at offense first then defense. Fisher gives them an athletic tackle that will fit into Chip Kelly’s system very well.
Who they should take- The Eagles will have no coverage corner left if Rodgers Cromartie decides to goes to another team. DeMarcus Milliner is the best player available and fits this need. I also have my personal questions on Eric Fisher. He had an outstanding year and a great senior bowl but he played against very weak competition the whole year and I’m afraid that he’s not as good as he shown.
5. Detroit (4-12)– The Lions just recently released Kyle Vanden Bosch and Cliff Avril did not live up to his expectations at all this year. With an interior line that could be elite with the right pass rush I would expect them to draft a pass rusher. They also need a running back seeing as Jahvid Best may never play a down in the NFL game with his concussion problems. Running backs though have become expendable in the league and need to be a rare talent (Peterson) to be drafted this high. A wide receiver to go along with Calvin Johnson is all of a sudden a need with the loss of Titus Young (if you look at it as a loss since this is the man that lined up in the wrong spot on purpose on multiple occasions). Lastly possibly their biggest need is in the secondary. They have struggled mightily for the last couple year at this position and Milliner would be the perfect fill.
Who they will draft- Ezekiel Ansah BYU DE/OLB- has HUGE potential. Scouts compare his potential to JPP with the way his college stats may never show just how good of a pro he can be. I’m sure that after the combine the scouts will be raving about him and will have a Vernon Gholston like effect on his stock.
Who they should draft- they should take either Bjoern Werner (due to the fact he has proven himself in college and is a safer pick) or DeMarcus Milliner because he solves their biggest need in a shutdown corner.
6. Cleveland (5-11) – The Browns usher in an entire new regime and no one is really safe on this team other than their big three (Joe Thomas, Joe Haden and Trent Richardson). Obviously one can tell Brandon Weeden just never had pro talent at either sport he tried and maybe he should try golf. They will definitely think about Geno Smith if he does fall to them and I see them as a sleeper to take him. Geno has athleticism more like Andrew Luck than the likes of a Cam Newton but the new coach was an offensive coordinator for Cam Newton and may look for a QB with mobility. They also could take a hard look at a pass rusher since last year they only had one (Jabaal Sheard). I also could see them taking Milliner at this spot and pairing him up with Joe Haden to have a deadly duo at the cornerback position.
Who they will draft- Damontre Moore Texas A&M DE/OLB- he is an absolute beast when it comes to getting to the passer and fits the biggest current need of the Raiders. He was an absolute stud for A&M’s defense this year for college football and look for it to translate well to the Pros
Who they should take- Damontre Moore
7. Arizona (5-11) – The Cardinals are another team who run into the problem of having a QB problem in the wrong draft to have one. Another team who will be tempted to take Geno Smith with their pick. They also have a need at the RB position due to the injuries their running backs seem to pile up every year (Suns training staff where are you?) and the biggest need on the offensive line. Eric Fisher dropping to them would obviously be ideal.
Who they will draft- Geno Smith West Virginia QB- One last, desperate risk taken by management at the QB position to please Larry Fitzgerald. Geno Smith resembles Andrew Luck Physically and Bruce Arians will not be able to pass that up.
Who they should take- if no offensive line is available I believe the best bet would be to trade back, draft Lane Johnson for their line and use the other pick acquired on another QB.
8. Buffalo (6-10) – Buffalo also has a new head coach and another team that is looking for a franchise QB in the wrong draft. Sadly, Fitzpatrick has not been able to live up to expectations after his great start two years ago. However, if Geno Smith would enter panic mode because they would expect to be the next team to take him after the Chiefs. The Bills have needs at the WR position and all over their new defense they are implementing.
Who they will draft- Coradelle Patterson WR Tennessee- Doug Marrone will be very torn in his first ever draft. I believe that he give Fitzpatrick a chance at QB although in no way does he deserve one. Coradelle Patterson gives them a legitimate number two receiver who could ultimately replace Stevie Johnson if he wants to leave but, could also makes Johnson’s career easier by relieving him of double teams. Patterson did it all at Tennessee and is a big playmaker
Who they should draft- Jarvis Jones- Many teams will pass on him because of his “Red Flags” due to his spinal injury, but most will regret it when he’s sacking the their QB next year. He could be that hybrid rusher perfectly for their new defense.
9 .New York Jets (6-10) – oh the beloved Jets. This team constantly hurts me with the moves they make and always seem to do the opposite of what I hope. Their needs are basically at every skill position and the team seems to be an absolute mess (it is). Knowing Rex going into this draft losing two players at the linebacker position that’s where he will look. Beyond that they have a serious need at the safety position, a huge gigantic problem at the CB position, a need at the WR position, a right tackle who can actually block not just lug his 340 pound body in front of people and hope for the best and of course a new QB (which they have needed since the day they drafted Sanchez).
Who they will draft- Dion Jordan Oregon DE/OLB- He is a physical specimen standing at 6’ 8” and being able to play in the 3-4 so well makes him so intriguing to Rex. Still raw in pass coverage but that won’t stop Rex from looking past it and looking at how he can get to the QB. UPDATE!!!! Jordan will need surgery and this could effect his draft stock and have him fall drastically
Who they should draft- In my eyes the Jets can’t go to wrong with this pick. I would know if I’m going to keep both of my corners by the time the draft rolled by so I would know whether or not to pass up on Milliner or not. However if I’m making this pick I’m making this pick I’m taking the man that led the NCAA in sacks last season, Jarvis Jones. The Jets will suck next year anyway so why not take a little risk on a guy who mass produces with a little neck problem.
10. Tennessee (6-10) – Tennessee last year wanted to take a corner however all of them were taken by the time it was their pick. This year playmaking corner has the chance to drop to them and I don’t think they could pass that up. That being said they have stated the want to bolster the offensive line to help Chris Johnson.
Who they will take- DeMarcus Milliner Alabama – Just too good to pass up. A top five prospect in my eyes that can shut down an entire side of the field with the way he plays.
Who they should take- Milliner or Chance Warmack- Depends but if Milliner falls they HAVE to take him but I could see a team trading up for Milliner ahead of the Titans screwing them yet again. If that does happen look for them to take Warmack.
11. San Diego (7-9) – Chargers are a team that has a QB that is supposed to be in his prime but seemed to regress big time last season. It was not all his fault, since he couldn’t get a pass of due to his porous offensive line that couldn’t block a 10 by 10 doorway if they tried together. This is a glaring weakness for the Chargers. They also have a weakness at the pass rushing position but that should be addressed later on. The team should also spend a mid round pick on a WR if Danario cannot hold up this year like history has proven with him.
Who they take- Chance Warmack G Alabama- this is a pick the Chargers need to make if they want Phillip Rivers to have the best chance to succeed. I see this as his last hurrah if he can’t get it done this season. He is that good of a guard to take this early an immediately improves the Chargers in the pass and rush game on offense.
Who they should take- Chance Warmack- He is just that good at what he does. You never see guards get drafted this early however he was just that good in college and possess the skills already to be a pro bowler.
12. Miami (7-9) – Miami is a team who I see having a pretty bright future. They have a good QB in Tannehill (he needed time to develop as a QB because of his first two seasons as a WR in college) a decent running game, good blocking and a pretty good defense. However they are lacking a big time receiver and also could use some upgrades in the secondary.
Who they will pick: Keenan Allen California WR- my favorite receiver in this draft along with being tied to Jarvis Jones as my favorite player in general. He posses the height (6’3”) along with great ball skills and a nack for running in the open field. I would love this pick if I were Miami. I hate comparisons but I just see so much Brandon Marshall in him.
Who they should pick- Keenan Allen
13. Tampa Bay (7-9) – Tampa Bay is another team who has great upside as a team as do most teams in this mid range area. Their problems remain mostly on the defensive side of the ball and need a solid defensive end along with a much needed improvement in the secondary.
Who they will pick- Johnathan Banks Miss ST CB- was voted the top secondary player in this previous college football season and is another great corner in this draft. The Bucs were close to last in all passing stats last season and have no prospect on their team for the position.
Who they should pick- Johnathan Banks
14. Carolina (7-9) – The Panthers run defense was awful last year and that’s me being nice. It was like Vin Diesel trying to sing Rihanna. (Oh wait he did that) anyway the team could go after a number two receiver or address their need at the safety position as well.
Who they will pick- Sheldon Richardson Missouri DT – he is a big nose tackle out of Missouri who was the only bright spot on the team. Has some athleticism but mainly will be used to stop the run which is exactly what they need.
Who they should pick- Sheldon Richardson
15. New Orleans (7-9) – The Saints are switching their defense to a 3-4 this year which means that they will have needs on defense. Offense they were fine as they were scoring points but the other teams were just scoring more.
Who they will pick- Bjoern Werner DE/OLB Florida State- I just can’t see him dropping anymore and even if he is better fit for a 4-3 the Saints will not be able to pass up his talent. He could come in and give them an immediate boost in the pass rush. I would expect a team to quickly trade up if they saw this fall from Werner so do not expect him to drop this far.
Who they should pick- Probably someone more suitable for their defense like a Jarvis Jones or Mingo from LSU. But Werner is too good to pass up here
16. St. Louis (7-8-1) – The Rams have had a serious need on the offensive line ever since Sam Bradford has got there (the poor guy). They also have a need at the safety spot and the front office has come out and said they will look to fix this through the draft. Also the Rams still have yet to find that go to receiver for Bradford.
Who they will pick- Lane Johnson Oklahoma OT- He solves their need at on the offensive line and fills in perfectly at the tackle spot. It would be very hard for the Rams to pass up on a tackle like Johnson
Who they should draft- Either Johnson or Vaccaro. They both fill in the two biggest holes of the Rams but I just think the line is a bigger problem right now.
17. Pittsburgh (8-8) – They are getting old on defense and most likely loose Mike Wallace so they are a team that has some needs to get younger at. James Harrison will most likely be gone and they will look to fill his role from someone. Also wouldn’t be a bad idea to start thinking of finding a back-up to Roethlisberger. Lastly the RB position is in need of a serious upgrade as well.
Who they will pick- Jarvis Jones Georgia OLB- This is one team who will look past the spine problem and be so happy that he falls to them. He fits perfectly in with the scheme and will anchor that defense for many years.
Who they should pick- Jarvis Jones
18. Dallas (8-8) – Dallas’ line was pretty bad last year at blocking for Tony Romo last year. Also they could use a safety due to the fact they want to cut Church from the team and he is the starter. Lastly they could use a replacement for Anthony Spencer since they might not be able to re sign him.
Who they will pick- Kenny Vaccaro Texas S- He probably has the talent to go earlier but not many teams need a safety. He is a ball hawking safety which Dallas could use since Claiborne got burned many times last year.
Who they should pick – Kenny Vaccaro
19. New York Giants (9-7) – The Giants are a team whose offense right now seems just fine. They could use an upgrade on the offensive line but, it wasn’t really that bad. The true need exist on the defensive side. The Giants biggest weakness is too easy to pick out and if you watch one game you’d see it to. He’s a big slow linebacker that wore a cast the entire season named Chase “I once backed up into Amani Toomer’s Porsche with my big jeep” Blackburn. The other need remains in the secondary and most of the reason is because the Giants just can’t seem to stay healthy there. Lastly, the Giants could need a pass rusher if Tuck and Osi leave.
Who they will pick- Alec Olgetree Georgia ILB/OLB- The hidden gem on Georgia’s defense who was overlooked due to Jarvis Jones’ outstanding play. He has great instincts as an inside linebacker and is somewhere who can come in and start at the position right away (sorry Chase).
Who they should pick- Alec Olgetree
20. Chicago (10-6) – Everyone and their mom knows where Chicago’s biggest need lies. The team always puts out a stout defense, has a QB who is a top 10 QB when playing at his best a big time RB and a big time receiver. However Jay cutler can’t seem to get it to his weapons because his line is the problem. The Bears may look to find Urlacher’s replacement if they choose not to resign him and could also look to find a second receiver for Jay in the first round. In the second I expect them to go after a tight end.
Who they pick- D.J Fluker Alabama OT- A big talk among scouts right now is all that weight he has lost since college has ended and how he is showing to be a beast physically. He fits their need at the right spot.
Who they should pick – D.J Fluker
21. Cincinnati* (10-6) – The Bengals biggest need isn’t something I expect them to address in the first round. The Law firm (Green-Ellis for those of you that have lives) was only good for one thing and that was his ball security. This year he didn’t have that and has become expendable to the Bengals. However, no running back these days gets drafted that early especially when it isn’t that big of a need. Two other areas they should draft remain at either the middle linebacker position (only person worse than Blackburn was found here Ray Maualuga) or if they don’t resign Michael Johnson take a defensive end.
Who they will pick- Leenay Kekua… uh ummm I mean Manti Te’o Notre Dame ILB – He is a person the Bengals won’t be afraid to take and anyone is an upgrade over Maualuga. His stock has dropped significantly since New Years but I believe he will stay in the first round.
Who they should pick- Kevin Minter- I personally love Minter’s game and think that he and not Mr. Te’o deserves to be recognized as the 2nd best inside linebacker in this class .
22. St. Louis – from Washington* (10-6)- St. Louis has their second first round pick and this time they will most likely address the other side of the ball now although don’t rule out a receiver here. They could use someone at the outside linebacker position and as stated before are looking for a young guy at safety.
Who they pick- Matt Elam Florida S- I think he may have more talent than Vaccaro personally. He is an extremely big hitter and form tackling because he seems to go for the big hit every time. He is good in coverage but could use some improvement.
Who they should pick- Matt Elam
23. Minnesota* (10-6) – This team made the playoffs with CHRISTIAN PONDER as their quarterback. CHRISTIAN PONDER. The man who managed to average less yards per attempt than Peterson had per carry. Now I know Peterson had a historic season but that is just pathetic. Maybe it’s jealousy since he is married to Sam Steele however I just don’t see how he can be a starter in the NFL. If I was the Vikings I would seriously think of drafting a new QB (Matt Barkley or Tyler Wilson) here. This is unlikely since management has “faith” in him as does his coach. Yea, some quarterback that sat out your biggest game of the year. Other than that rant, the Vikings could use a big upgrade either at the DT position due to old age or cornerback position (where they got toasted at all year) on the defensive side. On offense the only other upgrade would be at receiver however after the first two I don’t see any first round talent at the position.
Who they will take- Johnathan Hankins Ohio State DT- They find the perfect replacement for Kyle Williams who is getting old and can start Hankins right next to him. He is a huge body that stuffs anything coming his way. He has character questions however I’m sure a pro like Williams can straighten him out
Who they should take- Although I like the pick I would take a long and hard stare at the QB position and really work those two QB’s out. But, that still wouldn’t be my pick. I would take Marcus Trufant’s brother Desmond Trufant. He played extremely well at Washington this year and I think he is very underrated when it comes to this draft.
24. Indianapolis* (11-5) – The Colts released another Colts legend this year in Dwight Freeney and will look for someone to take over for him. They also could use a cornerback and a big tackle on the defensive side. Last draft they picked all offense so don’t be surprised if they do the same for defense this time around.
Who they will pick- Barkevious Mingo OLB/DE LSU- His slide finally stops. At the beginning of the college season he was a projected to be a top 5 pick but due to his production this year he fell off. He would be a great fit for the Colts new defense and could be an impact in his first year as a pass rusher.
Who they should take- Barkevious Mingo (man do I like spelling his name Props to Mrs. Mingo)
25. Seattle* (11-5)– Seattle the last three years have been very impressive drafting and for all the time teams say draft best player available, they drafted needs, and it worked. I assume they will only continue this trend. Seattle defense was impressive and ruined many playoffs games for fantasy football with that performance against the Cardinals. The only need I really see for them on defense is at the defensive tackle position. That being said, their need is more on the offensive side of the ball. They desperately need a WR (they cannot rely on touchception from Golden Tate every time) and a tight end. It really is amazing the season Russell Wilson had looking at the players he had around him.
Who they take- Zach Ertz Stanford TE- Like the past they choose to take a need and take the top tight end available. He had some short arm concern at the combine but I still think he is the better option over Eifert because he is a better blocker as well.
Who they should take- Kawann Short- I think a tight end should not be taken in the first round of this draft and Short is a better prospect. He recorded 7 sacks a tackle and would help the Seahawks immediately.
26. Green Bay* (11-5) – The Packers struggled mightily in blocking for Aaron Rodgers this year and I see them spending their first pick on it since he’s the face of the franchise. They also did just loose Woodson so looking at the secondary and filling that position could be spent with the first pick. A sleeper pick could be taking a receiver since Jennings will most likely be gone as well. Running back has always been a need for them but they seem to like to wait till mid round picks to choose one.
Who they take- Jonathan Cooper UNC G- He is a guy that could play both guard and center. Whatever the Packers need him at he can be ready to start for them. He blocked at UNC for my favorite running back in this draft Giovanni Bernard. Bernard just went on to be the ACC offensive player of the year.
Who they should take- Barrett Jones (I wish) sadly due to his injury he is dropping all the way to the third round. It’s so sad since he is such an accomplished NCAA blocker and person in general. Cooper is the right choice here
27. Houston* (12-4) – Houston has 3 big needs. Middle linebacker since Cushing is hurt (Steroids) and Bradie James is a free agent. The second is at the WR position since Johnson is getting old and they have never found a number 2 to play next to him (I personally think they should move up in the 2nd to get one) and the third would be a cornerback. They signed Joseph and he has been good but they do not have anyone to play on the other side with him.
Who they will take- Kevin Minter LSU ILB- This is why Houston is more successful faster than the Bengals. The Bengals continually draft one pick that sets them back a couple years. Minter is a solid choice here.
Who they should take- Minter
28. Denver* (13-3) – One of the two teams that may actually take a running back in the first round due to the need. The fact the team two picks behind them needs one may rush them to take the top one available. They also need a corner back since Champ Bailey is no longer a top corner or a reliable one. He was burned twice in the playoffs and blew that game for them. Also they could use a nose tackle, someone that really stuffs the run.
Who they pick- Eddie Lacy Alabama RB- With Atlanta lurking in the background they fold to the pressure. They let Mcgahee go and have a good punch with lacy then Hillman to go with their passing attack.
Who they should take- Desmond Trufant- He is a much higher rated player than this pick but the need is to strong for Denver.
29. New England* (12-4)– They will most likely let Wes Welker leave which means they will need to find a replacement at his position and more importantly what he did (not these past 2 years because that would be dropping passes). They also could always use secondary help since they seem to never improve in that aspect.
Who they pick – Tavon Austin West Virginia WR- this pick makes so much sense it’s scary. Austin is the quickest guy in this draft and I’m sure Bill is just drooling over the plays he could run with Austin.
Who they should draft- I’m just gunna keep suggesting Trufant because he deserves it
30. Atlanta* (13-3) – Tony Gonzalez may be gone but, as every fan feels, there’s the feeling he will be back. They could take a replacement in this draft if it’s the right person however. They also desperately need a defensive end since that was their weakness on defense last year. Also as stated earlier they needed a running back since Turner will be released. I don’t think they will find someone of value in the first round unless Lacy falls here.
Who they take- Sam Montgomery DE/OLB LSU- The LSU defensive end just like Mingo saw his draft free fall after this season played out. However he is a great NFL prospect according to some scouts even though I don’t see it.
Who they should take- John Jenkins- Their whole line to me needs a remake even if defensive tackle isn’t there strongest need. He could at least help against the run and is a first round talent.
31. San Francisco* (11-4-1) – The 49ers have very few needs when it comes to the draft. Especially with rumors of them throwing a ton of money at Wes Welker and as long as they can lock up Gholson (or at least franchise him). The two positions of need are WR and CB. Culliver played awful in the playoffs and well Manningham is better off as a third receiver rather than a second.
Who they pick- Desmond Trufant Washington CB- Finally he gets picked I feel relieved for him. The kid has major talent and will look to prove all of those that passed on him wrong.
Who they should take- Desmond Trufant
32. Baltimore* (10-6) – Baltimore ofocurse could use a replacement for Ray Lewis, but that’s not how the best G.M in the NFL does. He will choose someone who stock fell for the wrong reason or a player that talent was look passed. He seems to do this every year.
Who they pick- (Best player available)- I’m sure Ozzie would love for Desmond to fall to him and was probably licking his chops when he saw this but, he will gladly take John Jenkins (Georgia DT) because he’s the best player available and he fits a need
Who they should take- not arguing with Ozzie … ever.
Article written by James (J.D.) Hogan follow him on twitter @sportinghogan